Saturday, January 9, 2010

Postcard

So, I was thrilled when I received an address from Postcrossing for a person who actually liked handmade postcards.  (Most members don't, as they've had a bad experience with them in the past.)
I opted against my store bought cards and whipped up something especially for my new friend in Taiwan.  She specifically wanted "cute" handmade cards, so that's what I aimed for.

I started with this.

I stitched this onto card stock using the Inside a Black Apple pattern from Sublime Stitching.  Before I stitched it, I painted the card stock with watercolors.

Then it went to this.

I used a 4x6 piece of Bristol paper and painted it with watercolors.  Then I added some lovely scrapbook paper.  To attach the little guy I used E6000, he shouldn't be going anywhere!  Then I sealed the whole thing with outdoor Mod-Podge.  Then, because I was paranoid about the distance he'd be traveling, I sealed it off with a coat of clear acrylic.  This card should definitely be able to make the trip.

Somehow it turned into this.

Not only had I recently bought some paint pens (for ol' Bessie's tattoo) but I don't when to stop.  Therefore, along came flowers, clouds and a word bubble.  Cheesy, I know.  Anyways, I'm happy with it and I hope the recipient, BingBing, will be too.  It's the first postcard I've ever made and I have a feeling that there will be many more!

Thanks for looking!  Have a great weekend.  Planning on making anything?

7 comments:

Sam said...

That card is incredibly cute!

Yeah, I'm making something today, a certain ATC for a certain person ;-)

MafiosaGrrl said...

Thank you Sam! It was my first postcard so there was a little anxiety. lol, gee, I wonder who it is for... I feel special that you are making something just for me. When I said surprise me, I thought you would just pick from something you'd already made. Thank you so much :)

Alexz said...

Oh my gosh, I want a card like that! It is so cute!

Unknown said...

LOL. I was looking at the little monster in the field and thinking- how could he get any cuter? But he does! I think the greeting and flowers are the perfect touch!

MafiosaGrrl said...

Thank you so much guys! Your comments always make me feel so great, I have the nicest readers. I want to make a bunch more this week, just to have on hand for the perfect moment or person!

50sme said...

cute. I wish I was as crafty. I've been working on a wooden stool that I have covered in tons of neat pics, labels, etc. and decopaged. Its not done yet but I dig it and think I'll make others for friends, family etc. I think Ill hang around where people are into crafts and it might boost my creative side a bit.

MafiosaGrrl said...

OH, I love decorated furniture like stools and tables! Yeah, seeing other stuff will definitely get your creative juices flowing. Welcome to my blog :)