Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Movie Madness

As a swapping fool, I knew that I would have to sign up for the Phat Quarter Swap.  When I found out the theme was movies, well, that just sealed the deal.  As if a movie swap alone wasn't exciting enough, it kept getting better.  The stitcher sending to me would be Giddygirlie and I would sending to Maureen of Sew Lovely Embroidery.  Awesome!!

Giddygirlie sent me my very own H.I. McDunnough from the 1987 classic Raising Arizona.  Perfect!
One of her favorite lines, "Son, you've got a pantie on your head."
One of mine, "There's what's right and there's what's right.  And never the twain shall meet."

He now lives in the sewing corner.  Doesn't he fit just right?
I found out that Maureen and I share a love of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, so I went with that.  I made a little wallet style pouch that looked like a Wonka Bar.  Yum yum in my tum tum.

I stole this screen shot (Thanks, Katy!!)  since my scan looked liked crap.  Of course, the camera came that very day, minutes after I had mailed it out. Figures.
I made it from eco-friendly craft felt, vintage fabric from my stash and embroidery floss.  Ol' Bessie was feeling a little bit left out so I let her attach the inside flower fabric to the gray felt.  I tried to get some fun candy fabric for the inside but was severely disappointed by the paltry selection available around town.  I mean, really, does every chocolate themed fabric have red in it?  Or do all of the candy fabrics also have donuts, isn't that more of a bakery thing?  In the end, I'm glad I didn't find any.  I think the vintage fabric works better, being an older movie and all.  Besides, perhaps those flowers look like the kind that grow on Snozzberry vines.

 Despite sketching it out and doing what I thought was planning, it was a learn as you go sort of thing.  I'm really happy with the way it came out and can't wait to have one of my own.  I'm overjoyed to hear that Maureen likes it too.  

Oh hey, speaking of movies!   Schinders of Schindermania fame has three stitched pieces, that I freaking love, in a show at Gallery 1988 in San Francisco.  To see these pieces and for more info on the show, go here!  With all of the pieces being based on cult movies, I would love to check out this show.  It opens this weekend!  So come on Bay Area folks, show some love.

Thanks for looking, I'll be back with some torture, ahem, I mean, a teaser.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Aces! All of it. That Wonka pouch is outstanding, your work never fails to impress, my dear. You ROCK!

AlwaysInspired said...

Love the wonka bar! Great stitching!

MafiosaGrrl said...

Thank you, ladies! More wonka bars in the works :)