Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kitschy Kitchen

I finally got around to upgrading my kitchen a bit.  For the longest time, I've planned on making new curtains.  I had the fabric picked out, the measurements taken but no way to hang them.  I have to confess, we just had sarongs tacked up (I know what you're thinking....hippies.)  Well, they served their purpose but they had seen better days.  We finally got some "rods" that are actually super cool wires with clips.  My honey hung them and it was my time to shine.

I whipped out some of my favorite vintage fabric and transformed the place.  It was super easy, just hemming squares really, but I was still pretty chuffed with myself when it was all said and done.  It's so light and airy now!
Boris is giving me the crazy eye in this photo.  Since I wanted him to look, I asked, "Boris!?  Is that you?!"  He turned around and looked at me, as if to say, "Of course it's me, woman!  Who else would it be?  Great, my mom's losing it."  Oh, and please forgive the overflowing recycling, I can't very well be cleaning my kitchen and making curtains for it at the same time.  

The black frames are coming down and the new wall art will match the new kitschy theme.  Speaking of matching, I made a Lazy Susan.  Dillon said it would be "a bit much" but I thought it would be perfect.  I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric, added a couple coats of Mod Podge and a clear coat.  Voila!  Matching Lazy Susan!  Using the spray adhesive and cutting slits on the edge before I tucked it under, made the fabric perfectly smooth.  Even on that ridge, it was super easy.
And check out my new candy dispenser!  Isn't it great?!  I've had one like it in my etsy favs for a long time and now we finally have one, just in time for the kitchen upgrade.  It was a surprise gift from a friend.  It was the perfect Earth Day, B-day, Easter pressie all rolled into one.  I love it!!  However, I am a bit frightened to think about how much candy that jar holds.  I poured in an entire bag of M&Ms in there!  I have to be careful with this thing.  Dillon said I'm not to fill it or my teeth will fall out.

Anyhoo, that's just one of the projects that's been keeping me so busy lately.  More to come soon.  Hope you have a craftastic day!  I'm going to be spending some time getting ready for the long awaiting Stitch & Bitch that's happening this weekend.  I'm so excited!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Aw! Those curtains are perfect! So light & breezy, and you know of course that I stinkin' *LOVE* the fabric!! The lazy sue is great too, I would definitely not have guessed it was fabric covered, I would have thought it was made that way, it looks soo good! Aces, Jackson!!

p.s. Only 2 days til our get together, woo!

lifemyway said...

I love your curtains. They allow so much light in. I often forget how easy curtains are to make.

MafiosaGrrl said...

Thanks, Lisa. I'm so pumped, I've picked up a few supplies already! Yum, Yum!

lifemyway- they're super easy, huh? I'm going to make them for every part of the house now!! Plus those wire things make it so easy to open them all the way up. What I really love is the fabric is old, so it's nice and thick, so when they are closed it's actually very private despite being yellow!