Want the inside scoop on how I made my hat? Very few people have guessed correctly, but once you know it's pretty obvious. It's an old lampshade that I had lying around forever. I also used cardboard, fabric, felt, lace and wire. Luckily, I had everything on hand to construct it. But what's a silly hat without feathers....and a glittery bird?? So, of course, I had to go out and get those. I figured a bit of indulgence is good when it comes to over the top hats.
I started out by making the little nest with steel and copper wire. Then, using a tapestry needle, I threaded ribbon throughout it for a little extra something. After some failed experiments I settled on the lampshade for the main part of the hat.
(Boy, this photo was awkward to take. I had to crouch down with my hand through the shade. I'm sure I looked crazy.) I took apart the shade using an exacto knife, careful to maintain clean edges, since I would be reassembling it.
I kept the rings for putting it back together. I traced the larger one to get the size of the brim and the top, which I ended up constructing out of cardboard. However, with the smaller one, I took off the loops that would hold the bulb in place. I used one of them later for the bird perch.
Once it was disassembled, I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the white part of the shade. I left a little edge and folded it in, attaching with hot glue. Hot glue was really to key to this project. Well, that and a lot of patience.
This is my favorite section of the fabric. She reminds me of Cinderella. I attached some scalloped lace to cover the edge of where the top piece I constructed meets the shade part.
The bird!! I love it! The color, the glitter, the tail. Especially the tail, it's epic.
I stretched out the wire hoop I mentioned earlier so that it could be glued to the hat. I wrapped it in hemp twine, threw on some beads and attached the bird. To cover up the glue, I attached little bows made out of lace.
I used some scraps and my trusty sewing machine, Ol' Bessie to whip up some quick ruffles.
To keep it on my head, I sewed these long pieces of vintage lace to pieces of felt and attached the felt to the underside of the brim. It was very secure and comfortable.
In addition to the ends of the straps, I threw a bit more of the green velvet ribbon on the side, in front of the feathers. I think it helped to give the whole thing a bit more consistency.
I love, love, love my hat!!! As you can see, I had way too much fun wearing it!
Hope that you enjoyed a nice weekend and that your week got off to a lovely start!